Tuesday, July 13, 2010

.....watching how she handled life.

As a child, I spent part of my
summers with
Ida Macey Compton, in the
mountains of North Carolina.
She was my mother's mother and
my grandmother.
I've been told by family
members that I have
plenty of her genes, for I look
much like her.
-
Oh, I could tell you stories
about this woman.
She came from humble beginnings,
born in Kentucky, she lost both
parents at a young age and
lived with an aunt and uncle.
Married in her early teens, she
would bring sixteen children
into the world during the worst of
times....the Depression years.
-
Grandmother owned very little
in the way of fine things, but
she did have a few treasures
tucked in a curio cabinet.
"When I'm gone to be with the
Lord, I want you to have
some of these," she would say.
My favorite reminder of her, is a pink
Depression glass dish....I too have it
in a curio cabinet and one day it will
be passed on to a granddaughter.
-
What I remember most about Grandmother,
was her faith in God, her inner strength and beauty, her graceful
qualities and polite gentile manners.
She was a lady, that taught
me so many things, just by observing how
she handled life.
-
I've been thinking about her a lot lately.
I'm quite sure those genes
of inner strength .....she passed them on to me.
-
Missing her "butterfly kisses".....Dee Dee