Friday, July 9, 2010

Old Writers and Old Books




I have more time these days, I suppose,
so I gravitate to the library often.
Not so much a place to chat, I have
conversed with women of "like mind,"
that have shared with me, titles of good books and
names of their favorite writers.
It has taken me a while, but I have sorted
through and found the type of books and writers I like best.
I like English writers, and old books.
-
All this research began when I retired.
I think it not an unusual thing for
women of my generation to have time now,
for things held just out of reach,
for much of their lives.
Reading was not a
luxury many of us had time for.
We've worn many hats throughout the years.
-
So, now days, we see one another on occasion
at the library,
where we behave as though we've been given
"a new lease on life."
We can read, read and read!
We are not strangers to
one another, we have
similar generational qualities.
It is by sharing polite talk with these ladies, that I
have discovered Elizabeth Goudge, an English author
of novels, short stories and children's books. Her books
are notably Christian. In outlook whether written
for adults or children the child-like quality of myth and
hope pervades Goudge's work and is the source of
it's appeal to readers.
Now reading "The Dean's Watch,"
the first paragraph had me hooked....
-
The candle flame burned behind the glass globe of water,
its light flooding over Isaac Peabody's hands as he sat at
work on a high stool before his littered worktable. Now and
then he glanced up at it over his crooked steel-rimmed
spectacles and thought how beautiful it was. The heart of
the flame was iris-colored with a veining of deep blue spread like
peacock's tail against the crocus and gold that gave the light.....
-
The love of learning, the sequestered nooks,
And all the sweet serenity of books.
~Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
Blessings.....Dee Dee