Monday, July 26, 2010

Quilting?

"The Little Big Book for Grandmothers"
by Lena Tabori and Alice Wong
-
This book has been on my bookshelf for quite a
number of years. It is chocked full of Fairy Tales,
Poetry, Activities, Songs, Old Fashioned Games,
Granny Stories and Recipes....and a few more
things I've not mentioned.
It's all there.....how to entertain little ones.
Now...let me re-word that. How to
entertain the little ones and their Grandmother.
-
I came across this page a while back, and
made it a goal of mine to one day return to it.
"Family Quilt" the page is titled.
I have wanted to learn quilting, for as long as I can remember.
One thing that kept me from it was "time."
Now I have time.....but can I teach myself?
I think I can!
-
Once, while visiting a blog that displayed
lovely quilts, I read something I've
never forgotten.
If pioneer women with very little education,
under the most unlikely conditions could
make quilts to keep their family warm.....
then anyone can make a quilt.
-
In my Grandmother's book, I am following the
instructions....so simply outlined to teach young children.
-
Now, let me see.....To sew the first row, place the second
square on top of the first, front sides facing each other.
Pin along one side of the square and sew a l/4-inch seam
down this side. Remove pins.........
-
Sounds pretty easy, doesn't it? Now let's see...
Sew simple shapes like stars, moon, and letters to the
quilt squares to make a small crib quilt for expected grandchild.
-
I'm really loving this.....Dee Dee