Monday, July 12, 2010

........learning to read

In the schoolroom there was a shelf
containing a few tattered books,
given by some kindly citizen, and the
boys were allowed to read them on
Saturday nights. Few made use of the
privilege, for they couldn't read well
enough, but Job read them all.
He read among others the Pilgrim's
Progress, Gulliver's Travels, Robinson
Crusoe and The Cloister and the Hearth,
spelling them out as best he could to
begin with but soon reading fluently.
All the books had pictures in them.
The books were like rooms in a great
house and the pictures were lamps lit
in the rooms to show them to him.
As he read, his dreams slowly changed.
~The Dean's Watch
-
I posted a few days ago about
Elizabeth Goudge.....
Enjoying her writing, I've began
reading "The Dean's Watch."
I now have a stack of her books on my
desk. Upon reading the above paragraph,
I bookmarked the page
to refer back when writing this post.
I thought it quite beautiful, and wanted to share.
I can appreciate this, having a seven
year old granddaughter that
frequents the library, bringing home
sacks of books. She's loving the
summer reading program, and it
makes my heart very happy for her.
-
It is true when they learn to read,
they read to learn.....
-
Blessings......Dee Dee