Sunday, July 18, 2010

Compassion

Painting by Jerry PinkneyIt sits on my bookshelf and I refer to it now and then.
"The Book of Virtues" by Bill Bennett
It contains material that at one time, was taught
to children in schools, homes and churches....all for the sake
of shaping character. The vast majority of
Americans share a respect for certain fundamental
traits of character: honesty, compassion, courage
and perseverance. My focus today is on compassion.
This past week, I witnessed the lack of compassion
and kindness. It was hurtful and had a sting to it.
I was reminded of one of the oldest and best-loved
stories of kindness paid and re-paid.....
"The Lion and the Mouse."
"You laughed at me once," said the mouse. "You
thought I was too little to do you a good turn. But
see, you owe your life to a poor little mouse."
~Aesop
-
The lesson here....To feel another's anguish........
this is the essence of compassion.
-
Continuing the journey......Dee Dee