Sunday, August 1, 2010

Sunday's Hibiscus Bloom



Until last winter, I had two very tall
"Fountain Hibiscus" trees growing in my garden.
One of them died.
Never could I have imagined that
something so hardy could succumb
to a few days of below freezing temps.
The surviving tree is beautifully blooming,
because it had protection. It is surrounded
by Nandina, Robolini Palms and White
Bird of Paradise.
All summer long, it has stretched it's long
thin branches out over and through
the other plants and blooms
profusely.
-
As I looked at today's Hibiscus, I
couldn't help but remember
the tree I lost. Sadly, glancing
at where it once grew,
l remembered it's hundreds of pretty
pink blooms. For the time it lived,
it served it's purpose as a
beautiful and significant part of my garden.
-
As I'm writing this post, it's occurred to
me that we are so similar to the Hibiscus.
We begin life, healthy and strong. We grow and
thrive, under the protection of our family
and God's blessings.
The harsh winter temps are when
life happens. We are vulnerable, sometimes tempted
and sometimes we fall from God's grace.
-
We 're away from His protection, as we struggle with life.
It is then that our "life light" seemingly begins to fade,
or goes out completely just as the dying Hibiscus.
-
While in His will and under His protection,
we have similarities to the thriving Hibiscus.
We look and feel beautiful, while all the while
blooming on the inside and the outside.....
-
Guess It's a Sunday thing for me....thinking pretty deep.
I hope your enjoying this Lord's Day.....Dee Dee