Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Remembering the Zinnia....I'm not quite sure.

I love Zinnias!

My first memories of Zinnias are the ones
that grew in my Aunt Sally's yard.
-
Holding thoughts of the Zinnia for a moment,
I wish to say that
my mother's sister, I remember quite fondly, and
with most tender and loving
affection.
Dear Aunt Sally lived in the mountains of
North Carolina, in a lovely
home that set
up high, on a mountain ledge,
overlooking the
French Broad river.
I remember it, as a small cottage,
having a very steep white gravel driveway.
-
I assure you, this is not a long
drawn out story about my aunt,
I only wish to put some background
into my first memories of the
lovely Zinnia.
-
At the beginning of each spring,
Dear Aunt would plant Zinnias on either
side of her very steep gravel driveway.
In the rich fertile damp mountain soil,
they grew to amazing heights, and
as I recall, she
was ever so proud of them.
-
Enter into my memory....
Aunt's dear husband,
Uncle Ellis.
To earn his living, my uncle
drove a very large
laundry truck.
On occasion, after making deliveries,
he returned home
late, and long after dark.
These times, proved to be quite
unfortunate,
for
it seems the truck's only way
up the steep drive, was with a
fast running start.
Invariably
this proved disastrous for
Aunt's
beautiful Zinnias.
-
As I recall these events, as
they happened during my visits,
I'm not so sure that I remember more clearly
the
Zinnias,
or
the loud commotion
raised by dear aunt
toward my very apologetic
Uncle Ellis.
-
In either case,
they've both brought a smile to my heart.....
as I drew and painted
Aunt Sally's
beloved
Zinnias.
-
Blessings.....Dee Dee
click on little painting to enlarge....