Sunday, May 9, 2010

........I remember when their mother was a "pirate"



I watched the grandchildren play
....in a magnificent tree, in a not so typical
"tree house."
Located in the front yard of their home,
it is where
stretches of the imagination take place,
in this extreme place of pretend.
It was created for young and spirited
want-to-be Pirates!
-
Built by their father's hands, it is a
fantastic place of fantasy.
It was affectionately built with the precision of a skilled,
"devoted father and...."in his imagination, ship builder."
With memories still close to the surface, but still in his sub conscience mind,
he built into "real," his exciting dreams from childhood.
-
Recently watching the movie "Peter Pan" with the children,
he found himself once again, wanting to "fly," wanting to fight pirates
and even answering his wife with the words such as "Arrrrr Righty Mate."
-
First order.....how to steer the ship?
An antique ships' wheel would do nicely of course,
and a must for steering into imaginary waters
infested with alligators.....
one responsible for Captain Hook's "hook"....
-
As he worked on his project, he began
hearing "Tick Tock'ing" sounds, that became most annoying at times, but
he carried on.
-
"Pirates get hungry, " he thought to himself,
so he hung
an old wooden "well bucket" from a rope,
for hauling up cool drinks and refreshments
for the "Captain's Mates."
-
"I want to be Peter Pan!"
While looking on, I found myself wanting
to climb up the rope ladder and stand next
to my grandson way up high in the tree.
I wanted to shout "Ahoy Mateys!"
I wanted badly to hoist up the "Jolly Roger" flag.
-
"I thought to myself, a grandmother
can be a pirate...why not?"
-
Ah, but I remember when their
mother was a "Pirate."
She wore a patch over one eye
and dressed the part days on end.
I wonder if she's had a thought or two
about flying again.....hmmm
-
I hope you had a good Mother's Day.
Blessings....Dee Dee