Saturday, January 24, 2009

"A Domestic Womanly Skill"



I've started back, and it's been a while for me, this sewing thing, this woman thing that seems to be a dying art. I could probably count on one hand the number of lady friends I have that actually sew. My sister-in-law is an exception to the rule. Not only does she sew, she has three sewing machines, and these machines are "state of the art." They are housed in a special room in her home, decorated and designed for a woman who can "sew up a storm!" Now, I on the other hand, have the same sewing machine I've had for the past twenty years or so. My sewing abilities have developed no further than the day I bought the machine. I can make some pretty elaborate curtains, pillows and table linens, but that is just about it. I do repair sewing, hemming and crafting by hand, and there lies my problem with sewing needles and pins. In my case, to sew by hand with a needle, is to eventually poke the needle into a finger, most assuredly, at some point. These injuries are painful and have been known to bleed quite profusely. Not to be discouraged, I continue sewing, trying to improve my domestic womanly skills. Their coming along nicely I might say and sewing seems to give me a great deal of pleasure. Perhaps if my skills keep improving, I too could have a new and "Improved Domestic Sewing Machine." Hmmm......