Thursday, April 15, 2010

Celebrating Coleus




If you've followed my blog for a while,
you've probably been expecting my
spring posting featuring the
"Coleus"
I've told the story of my grandmother's
love for this beautiful plant many times.
Planted lovingly and with great care....
each spring, she placed them in tin cans that
had once held 'Hunt's Finest Peaches.'
Filling them with rich dark soil from her
garden, this was the way and only way...
no store bought potting soil in those days.
I learned, as I watched her water them, and
pinch off the 'suckers' to encourage
fullness in the plant growth.
Grandmother was an amazing gardener...
Each year I look for the Coleus in the
garden shops, with great anticipation.
I found a really pretty one this year, and
already it has stired up all kinds of
sweet memories.
I can almost hear her giving me
directions in caring for my plant....
"Now let it go dry before you water "
she would say.
"I will Grandmother......"
Missing her today.....Dee Dee
click on photos to enlarge