Monday, December 29, 2008

Wishing Well

Do these mysterious looking wells have the power to grant wishes?


I'm not sure when I first heard of the custom, but all my life I've tossed coins in fountains, wells and other bodies of water, hoping to have a seemingly impossible wish granted. I know lots of folks do the same thing, never believing their wish will actually come true, they seem to have some kind of hope connected to this practice. Curious as to when the custom began I did a little research, and found it fascinating that water, being considered a source of life, often scarce in some places is acknowledged as a gift from God. Certain peoples considered springs and wells sacred places and thought the water to have healing powers. Wells became popular for not only drinking, but bathing and wishing over them. Believing the wells to have heavenly guardians, people began tossing coins inside and asking for wishes to be granted by these mysterious well watchers. I wonder....going into the New Year 2009, if you could have a wish granted, what would it be? Hmmmm..."Star light, star bright, first star I see tonight....I wonder how it came about to wish upon a star.