Tuesday, December 9, 2008

"Christmas Downsizing"


When the trees are decorated, the shopping completed and the packages wrapped, I get a feeling of satisfaction and contentment. It takes a lot of energy and effort to complete all the traditions we began years ago. I suppose when we were first married, we set out to do things our own way, create our own decorating styles....We did Christmas in ways then, that we continue on with today. This year, I've come to a realization that it is time for a few of our Christmas customs to become nice memories. The large trees covered with an accumulation of ornaments collected all through the years, are no longer a necessity. I suppose I consider that we are "Christmas Downsizing." The tree in our living room this year is decorated more formal and is much smaller than from Christmases past. It took hardly any effort at all to decorate this tree, considering the lights were in place when we purchased it. Same goes for the tree in our family room. Small and decorated with our grandchildren in mind, it is covered with ornaments that they will recognize, and are appealing to children. I suppose as the years pass by, it becomes necessary to prioritize. My "better half" is happy that I no longer feel it important to hang lights outside, requiring him to go up and down a ladder. I thought about all these things as I did some finishing touches in the living room today. As I placed the Poinsettia on a table, the afternoon sun was shining through the window directly on it. It occurred to me at that moment, that after all my decorating efforts, trees, lights, candles, ornaments....none of them had the beauty of that bit of sun shining through the window creating a glowing affect on that beautiful pink flower. It made me stop and linger for just a short time, taking it all in.......It was like seeing a little reminder of God.....after all, this whole Christmas season, is all about Him. I've decided that downsizing a little this Christmas is a good thing.....