Sunday, December 14, 2008

Star Of The Magi

Christians consider the star of Bethlehem a miraculous sign given by God to mark the birth of the Messiah. When I was a child of five years old, the Star of Bethlehem was the most beautiful part of the Christmas pageant held at our church. Dressed as an angel, I watched as the Star almost magically came from the balcony of the church slowly descending until it stopped directly over the manger where the baby Jesus lay. I recall this each year and share the story with my children and now my grandchildren. The star was simply made of cardboard and covered with foil. A light was directed on the star causing it to shine brightly and to me it was beautiful and appeared real. Nine years ago, my youngest daughter, hearing this story so many times while growing up, made a star resembling the one of my childhood. We placed it on top of our family room tree that year and each year since it has adorned our tree. This little homemade foil star in our home, now follows the Christian tradition, as it represents the Star the Magi followed, as they traveled in search of a King, the King of the Jews......