Friday, December 26, 2008

Christmas Day Play

How I felt after Christmas Dinner....
Photo...Bergdorf Goodman Window Display
Oh yes...you know what I'm talking about. All morning long we're in the kitchen preparing that incredibly delicious Christmas dinner. The build-up happens and before you know it, the adrenalin is at it's peak. The table is set with the finest china and stemware, the candles are lit and all is at ready. The doorbell rings... Act I, Scene I begins. I'm telling you, it was a beautiful thing and all went off without any lines dropped, and no one missed their cues. The dinner was enjoyed, and tasted as though it had been prepared by Paula Deen herself. Pecan pie for desert with delicious coffee...enjoyed by all. Act II.... the packages were opened and no deviations from the expected script at all...ooohs and aahs, hugs and kisses...... all in the appropriate places and time. Mountains of Christmas wrappings were left in the floor, so perfectly placed as though by stagehands at the right time and place. Act III....Family game of "Ned's Head"...shall I say we needed no "canned" laughter. The cast carried this performance off like seasoned entertainers, and afterwards our day came to an end. Waving goodbye to everyone we walked back into our home, noticing the quietness, almost unwelcomed. We missed them, no sooner than they were gone. As I began tidying up, I thought of how this closed out Christmas for another year. The excitement and anticipation was over for now...it had all happened so quickly, seemingly somewhat like a "Christmas Day Play."