Saturday, December 27, 2008

"Girlhood Fantasy World"


Some of my fondest memories are of shopping days in the city...back before Malls. During my high school years, Saturdays were spent "downtown." We got up early, dressed in our "shopping best" and off we went to the bus stop. City buses were the mode of transportation for just about everyone when I was a young woman and when it reached town we pulled the cord for the bus to stop and off we went. The sidewalks were crowded, for everyone had the same custom...shopping was saved for Saturdays. I loved the window displays in those days and could only dream and imagine dressing in such beautiful clothing. Back then, my girlfriends and I lived in a girlhood fantasy world, getting our fashion ideas and hair styles from Hollywood movie magazines. We walked from store to store, never making a purchase from the finer department stores. The Five and Dime is where we spent our few coins, making sure to save money for lunch at the S & W Cafeteria and bus fare home. Never could we have imagined anything quite like this Macy's window, even in our wildest girlhood fantasy imaginations.....