Monday, December 1, 2008

Christmas Cactus

About this time each year, we begin watching old Christmas movie favorites. When the children were small, we watched The Waltons Christmas. From what I see on television these days, I'm thinking this younger generation cannot identify, in the least, with this old fashioned family favorite. The story takes place at Christmas time during the Great Depression. Folks back then were having a hard time staying warm and keeping food on the table. Christmas presents for the children would be hard to come by. One of my favorite scenes in the movie is when Mother Walton goes into the basement to get apples. To her amazement and delight she found that her Christmas Cactus had bloomed. Her message is loud and clear as she announces to everyone her joy in finding flowers blooming in the dead of winter. My Christmas cactus is blooming as well and brings me much happiness, as I recall that special family celebrate Christmas with so little and yet so very thankful. I'm looking forward to watching the movie again in a few days. The Walton celebration centered on the Christ Child, brings to mind what is important to us all as we celebrate this Christmas season.......