Friday, December 12, 2008

A Doll For Christmas

I can still remember Christmas far back to the age of five years old. Each year Santa Claus brought me a doll. I named my doll and she became my best friend. She slept with me each night, so that I no longer had to be alone when the lights were turned out. She was always willing to hear me whisper my thoughts into her ear as I waited for the "sandman" to come. The year I turned nine years old, would be the last Christmas to receive a doll from the man who had always been kind enough to leave toys for me, knowing that I had been a good little girl. I will always remember her and that she had long hair braided into pigtails. Each Christmas while shopping for my granddaughter's gifts, another doll resembling her is always there on the shelf....a doll with long braided pigtails. I struggle with the urge to bring her home with me. I came across this photo of a beautiful vintage doll. She is very old now, but she appears to have been well loved and taken care of. Perhaps she was a best friend to a small child, so long ago, that needed a bit of comfort as well, when the lights were turned out.......