Thursday, February 12, 2009

Tatting


I'm wrapping things up for Valentine gifts and hopefully everyone will be pleased with my efforts. Tonight I finished the last little heart pillow. While looking through my bag of lace(found at an estate sale), I was very happy to find a bit of antique tatting lace. Tatting dates to the early l9th century. The term for tatting in most European languages is derived from French frivolite' , which refers to the purely decorative nature of the textiles produced by this technique. It is a technique for handcrafting a particularly durable lace constructed by a series of knots and loops. I love it when something old and something new come together for a pretty decorative effect. It's a nice thought that long ago efforts to create lovely lace tatting, along with my meager efforts today, came together in this time to make something quite beautiful.........