Thursday, February 19, 2009

Incentive

Photo Google Image
Seeing a photo of myself today, was all the incentive I needed to begin diet and exercise. I'm thinking I have that "Oprah yo yo" thing going on. No Thyroid problems here...just plain ole loving to eat good food. I have all the excuses in the world as to why I tire of eating the proper foods. My favorite is, I'm an old fashioned southern cook. I was raised on home grown vegetables, fried chicken, pork roast, roast beef and fried fish. These foods were always served along with mashed potatoes, fried potatoes, boiled potatoes or potato salad. We lived on a farm in Pennsylvania and vegetables of all kinds were served as well. Lets not forget Italian night once a week when pasta was served with salad and garlic toast. Breakfast at our home meant home made biscuits, fried bacon, eggs and gravy. My mother lived through the depression and made sure we never went hungry. We learned at a young age, it was only polite to clean your plate....and so we did. I'm much to old to blame childhood eating habits on my dilemma today, however. I learned long ago that pretty much anything white can do a number on your body, and I know portion control and exercise are key to a healthy diet. Tomorrow I shop for healthy foods and begin walking. I fully expect that for my efforts, I will in no time look like the young lady in the photo.