Wednesday, January 27, 2010

History & Geography

I've heard that many of America's school children, are no longer given the opportunity to learn History and Geography.
History, after all, is the written record of mankind, and why not teach Geography? Where something happens in history is just as important as when it happened and who was involved.
I had this discussion with my daughter, who teaches in a small christian school in upstate New York. She spoke of "A Beka Books" and teaching in the Christian perspective. I liked that the content had similarities to how I was taught as a young student, and asked her to send me the history and geography book she teaches her fifth grade.

So, I've been reading of the Fertile Crescent....the cradle of civilization. The next chapter, titled Ancient Middle East , I'll read where history began, about the Phoenicians, the Hittites, the Lydians and the Israelites: God's chosen people. I've looked ahead and see that I'll soon read of Africa....the continent of natural wonders and the land of mystery...Africa long ago.

Chapter 12 is titled The Greatest Force In History... the greatest event in history...the birth of Christ.....the rise of Constantine...the fall of Rome...the invention of the printing press and Martin Luther and the Protestant Reformation.

I turned to the back of the book and looked at pages students are required to memorize.
The American Creed
The Declaration of Independence
Preamble to the Constitution
First Amendment to the Constitution
The Rights of Americans
Lincoln's Gettysburg Address
States and Capitals

My thoughts.......Studying "World History and Geography" is an adventure...an opportunity to learn more about God's world and the people who live in it. As parents and grandparents we need to stay informed as to what is taught in our schools. We can no longer afford to go with the "status quo." America's children deserve better.
Blessings..... Dee Dee