Thursday, January 21, 2010

The Book of Virtues

Found on my bedside table.....training of the heart and mind toward the good.
Former Secretary of Education Bill Bennett has culled together a collection of old stories from the Bible, from great authors and from folklore. The Book of Virtues, has messages that are clear and will stir family discussions. Chapter titles are "Compassion;" "Responsibility;" "Friendship;" "Courage;" "Perseverance;" and "Faith." The tales are brief and most perfect for bedtime, or anytime family reading. In just plain words, this book is a treasure. Good fortune smiled down on me yesterday, as I sorted through books dropped off at the library store by patrons. Supporting the library, I gladly paid one full dollar for the book.

A Time To Talk ~Robert Frost
Work always calls us. But we make time for friends when they call too.
When a friend calls me from the road
And slows his horse to a meaning walk,
I don't stand still and look around
On all the hills I haven't hoed,
And shout from where I am, What is it?
No, not as there is a time to talk.
I thrust my hoe in the mellow ground,
Blade-end up and five feet tall,
And plod: I go up to the stone wall
For a friendly visit.

I highly recommend Mr Bennett's treasury of great moral stories. Blessings.... Dee Dee