Wednesday, November 5, 2008

A New Chapter Begins

Old Theatre sign found under the stage....Socrates with microphone...former owner of theatre....
Old costumes found backstage....
Rumored haunted, the old Royalty Theatre, in Clearwater, Florida is for sale once again. It has been said that the city of Clearwater may purchase this historical building and turn it into a "Performing Arts Center." Known as The Capital Theatre originally, it opened it's doors in 1924. World renowned performers like Frank Sinatra, Dean Martin, Bob Hope and Elvis Presley performed at the theater. A few years back, the theatre went through remodeling by it's new owner from Greece, Socrates. During this time, my daughter and her husband performed at the Royalty one night. Excitedly, I used the occasion to do some poking around and exploring back stage. I made some great discoveries and managed to take a few photos. Nancy Drew like, I opened a basement door that led down under the stage. To my amazement I discovered the original Royalty Theatre sign. Another great find, costumes hanging in dark closets. This was icing on the cake to a very enthusiastic snooper. It just doesn't get any better than leisurely looking around in an old historical theater. It was everything I wanted it to be, and more. I look forward to good things happening in this fine place called theatre, where we've been entertained for so many wonderful years. I'm awaiting with optimistic excitement the grand opening of the new "Performing Arts Center"....a new chapter of the theatre begins.