Thursday, July 23, 2009

No Feeding The Wildlife



Honeymoon Island State Park located on the Gulf of Mexico is one of my favorite places to visit. A portion of the island, popular for swimming, has lovely white sandy beaches. We prefer the area designated for plants and animals, all functioning together in a natural environment. For as long as we've been coming to this secluded section of the park, we've never been disappointed. Many acres of unspoiled land, are home to all sorts of Florida wildlife. Animals of all varieties are allowed to live in their natural habitat, as though time has stood still. The beaches in that area are strewn with rocks and trees looking out of place with roots open to view. Appearing whitish in color they've been bleached by the scorching hot Florida sun. Trees with random bunches of green leaves lie on the beaches, barely clinging to life, victims of erosion. Although a desolate place, it has an odd attraction that brings us back time and time again. Today I photographed an unusual bird, as it stalked a rattle snake. A fine ole turtle seeming to take no notice of me, allowed my camera close to his face and his timeworn shell. I saw Sandpipers, Pelicans and Seagulls all claiming their portion of the air water and sand. The seagull protested loudly for his share. Walking along the shore, my feet being bathed by the oceans warm waters, I felt in that time, all was right with this fragile ecosystem and all was well with my own world. click on photos to enlarge....