Thursday, July 16, 2009

Banning Clotheslines??


Each morning I go to the Internet, http://www.drudgereport.com/ for the latest news. Nothing seems to surprise me these days, and I almost dread thinking about some of the things I'll read. Well, you could have knocked me over with a feather, when I read about a small town in North Carolina, where the citizens were arguing over whether or not to allow clotheslines. What is the country coming to? What is wrong with these people? This afternoon, I saw one of the participants in the town, on television. "Would you buy my home if the neighbor had clothes hanging out on the line?" she asked the reporter. Her little ole face was as red as a beet! You know, my answer to her would have been, "Absolutely!" Why, clothes hanging on the line, are about as comforting and neighborly as one can get. If she wants to sell her home, what a great selling point she has. By simply promoting the neighbors as friendly and resilient, she could explain how clever they were, in finding new ways of conserving energy. And besides.....conversations at the clothesline, amongst neighbors have produced some really great sharing of recipes and home-making ideas. So, my answer to folks out there in North Carolina....get out the signs and quick! "SAVE THE CLOTHESLINES!"