Saturday, March 28, 2009

When I Pull Out An Apron.......

Funny how some things just conger up all sorts of memories. In these times of uncertainties, I've been thinking a lot of a little lady that seemed content and able to survive in the worst of conditions. I never heard her complain. She had sources that allowed her to survive. She had her faith in God, and a strong work ethic. Summers visiting my grandmother, is where I learned some of my most valuable life lessons. I learned how to use a hoe, for gardening to her, was a way of life, a way of survival. She depended upon the vegetables to last all summer long and well into the winter. I learned a lot about canning, her way of storing away food for the future. A favorite memory is the process of making apple jelly. This began with the apron ritual. Old fashioned lady that she was, she always donned an apron before beginning any kitchen duties. One must never run the risk of soiling their clothing, so I too learned these protective measures. Making apple jelly could get messy, and I'm quite sure the apron served it's purpose in protecting me from the sweet and sticky part of the process. In one afternoon, this little lady with the white hair, always worn in a bun, taught me valuable lessons of "waste not want not." We peeled apples, cooked them, made and canned applesauce. The peelings and the cores were boiled, strained and put up in jars as apple jelly. In those hours we spent together, a lot more teaching and learning was going on than I was aware of. Even the apron had a lesson in itself. Her generation had seen hard times, and she had so little. She never wasted anything and what she had she cared for. I don't suppose I'm as thoughtful about those kinds of things these days, but now and then when I pull out an apron, I'm reminded of her. I loved her sweet gentle ways, she worked hard for what she had, she loved reading the Bible, I loved hearing her pray.... and..... I loved that she loved me.