Thursday, March 26, 2009

Suggested Read...April's Issue Reader's Digest

Reader's Digest has been around for as long as I can remember. They boast of being America's #1 magazine. I picked up the April issue this past week, and this evening began looking at a few articles. I've always liked Reader's Digest and it's writers seem to be fairly reasonable and fair minded. I like the humor, it's clean and seemingly offensive to no one. I enjoy reading the short stories, and some of the free lance writers are very good. Such is the case of Sam Boykin's featured story "Home of the Brave." These few pages are packed with words that are sure to stir your emotions. How seven remarkable men and women found refuge-and new hope-in America. They fled in the dark, hid in black holes, and ran from bullets. Seven remarkable men and women tell how Nazi, Pol Pot, and the monsters of Darfur could not keep them from freedom. As I read each of their stories, I wondered what they might be thinking of our country these days. They're hearing lots of complaining and rumblings. I realized, after reading about all of them, they had something in common. They were all thankful for the freedom that we have in this country. They worked hard and took advantage of all that America has to offer it's citizens. Having once lost their freedom, they would never again take it for granted. Charlene Schiff escaping the Nazi death march wanted to send a message of hope to the young people of today. "Becoming an American citizen was a gift." I think this a good read for these times. Never mind those that would put our country down. This country has fulfilled a lot of dreams and will continue to be the "Home of the Brave"......