Wednesday, October 7, 2009

No Longer Scary

You know, it's a funny thing, the evolving of the "Scarecrow." Having spent a portion of my life living on a farm in Pennsylvania, I know all about these crude figures set up to scare birds away from crops. These days, I can still take a ride out of the city, and see them scattered all along the countryside, dutifully spreading their arms to ward off our fine feathered friends. What happened do you think, that we developed a love affair with the scarecrow? The stores and produce stands have them packed onto shelves, in every nook possible. Have you noticed that some seem clothed in designer like apparel? I think it's okay...well maybe more than okay. Alright then.....I'll confess, I am a part of those with an obsession for these guys when it comes to the Autumn of the year. Why I even bought one for my grandchildren. The gender was "girlie." That's right, a feminine, well dressed lady scarecrow, sporting some pretty amazing pigtails. She stands proudly at their front door, potted fall mums at her feet, arms outspread....warding off any pesky birds. For any of you with a closeted affection for the scarecrow......go on and proudly plunk one out on your porch. Just maybe your neighbors will do the same.
Autumn Blessings..... Dee Dee