Saturday, October 17, 2009

Celebrity Sighting?

Is that who I think it is? Shouldn't he be making toys?
This morning marked the annual antique show for our little coastal village. Mother Nature got the word, and we were blessed with cooler weather. This is the good one, the one you mark your calendars for. This is the antique show the dealers look forward to as well. Known for drawing large crowds,they bring out a few things not moving in their shops. Pleasing to me, they are sometimes willing to reduce their prices and seem to enjoy a little haggling. Today, I found a couple of treasures....I may post about them later. I really like these outdoor occasions, looking forward to them in the kind of way that gets me excited weeks before the actual event. I suppose, I have a fondness for old things. I like it when an old Prell shampoo bottle can conger up pleasant memories from my teen years. My friend Bonnie, shopping with me today, seemed to gravitate towards the same things I'm curious about....things from both our childhoods. "Do you remember these old paper mache jack-o-lanterns?" "Oh yes, I sure do." No sooner had we spotted this nice old thing from our halloween memories, than the shop owner was explaining to us how rare and collectible they were. Maybe so, but in no way were we prepared to pay $149.00 for a smiling paper pumpkin. I have other reasons for attending these annual events.
More so than searching for collectibles, I enjoy "people watching." As you can see in my photo, we have some pretty interesting "touristy types" here in Florida. "Could we have had a celebrity sighting?"
I can't say that I know for sure , but the man with the white hair and beard, red shirt and red clogs, looks mighty familiar. Blessings.... Dee Dee