Wednesday, October 14, 2009

.....the familiar farmyard sounds were strangely muted.

But when she heard Chanticleer greet the sun with a jubilant crow and Kitchen, the cow, give a tender, chuckling moo to her calf, she realized with a shiver of delight that, yes, truly, she was at the farm. The day that lay ahead of her could be filled with all the country pleasures that she loved. She could draw and paint and write letters or bake something sweet or finish the mitten she was knitting, or practice spinning her own Herdwick fleece at the old spinning wheel she'd bought at a farm auction...... I am reading, Susan Wittig Albert's "The Tale of Briar Bank," one of several cottage tales of Beatrix Potter. They are gentle, whimsical tales with a nice dose of mystery, if you please. Charming cozy...full of English country loam, leaf and lamb. Ms Albert's description of Beatrix's plans for the day, could very well have been written about me....well, almost about me. I have not been afforded the opportunity of spinning my own fleece. I could however, place myself quite comfortably in the Lake District community north of London, living at Hill Top Farm. I may even like talking to the animals..... Blessings.....Dee Dee