Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Coleus




I begin looking in the nurseries each spring for Coleus. The Coleus, an annual, is somewhat over-looked, but I love their presence on my porch and in my garden. I believe it's variegated colorful leaves to be quite lovely. They will grow tall and leggy if not pinched back, and in doing so, the plant spreads out beautifully. I've planted a few in the ground, in a shaded area beneath a small palm. They seem to have made themselves right at home. They do like filtered light. Each year I place them in clay pots, and these are placed on a walkway in the garden. l have to keep an eye on them, our weather is hot and humid and they will need plenty of water. In preparation, my pots have gravel on the bottom, a layer of peat moss and then filled with potting soil. I've seen Coleus planted along side English Ivy, a pretty presentation. Another suggestion is to plant Coleus with that wonderful lime-green potato vine....they are just gorgeous in window boxes. I do find these pretty leafy plants so much to my liking, and hope you do as well. Be blessed today!