Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Bovines On The Loose

Most mornings I'm seated at my computer, reading news online with television news in hearing range. The world of information is bombarding my brain at all angles. "Bovines On The Loose!" This announcement, televised, got my attention. I've heard bovine before and knew it had something to do with cows, or at least I thought so. Then I began thinking, if a bovine wondered into my neighborhood, would I recognize it? I needed to know, so I did a little research. Let's see...Google....hmmm...
I found that the biological bovinae is included in a diverse family of Ungulates "hoofed animals," most of which use the tips of their toes, usually hoofed to sustain their whole body weight. This family includes domestic cattle, the bison, the water buffalo, the yak and ...the four horned and spiral-horned antelope. Anyone of these creatures would be interesting to see walking down the street, but I concluded the bovine mentioned in the news alert, must be the one used for food. I've been on the lookout for bovines all day, but thus far, the only one spotted has long been packaged, frozen and placed in my freezer. I wish for you lots of smiles today....and, watch out for "bovines."
"The Cow" by Ogden Nash
The cow is of the bovine ilk
One end is moo, the other milk.