Saturday, August 1, 2009

Is This What Has Happened To Us?

There's something to be said for a quiet leisure walk on a summer afternoon. On this day, seemingly too hot for man or beast, I walked alone. This was a special time for me, a time of reflection, a time to think of anything I wanted to. Without the interference of conversation, television, radio or cell phones, I cleared my mind. My world seemed cluttered with all sorts of things, some being unnecessary and even ridiculous. Our information world has put us all on overload. Necessary and important things have to struggle getting through our brainwaves. I've thought of creative geniuses such as writers, artist, scientist and great thinkers, that have contributed to our world and discovered they each have something in common. They all have undisturbed down time, quiet time. They all had, or took opportunities enabling them to expand on ideas....something imagined or pictured in their minds that grew into things brilliant, creative or useful, even world changing. I find it sad that we've become a people with constant need for stimulation. I looked the word "twitter" up in the dictionary, and find this somewhat worrisome....Is this what has happened to us? Twitter: To make a succession of chirping noises. To talk in a chattering fashion. To tremble with agitation: FLUTTER