Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Honor Charlotte Appleton



I have always had a fondness for children's books. Beginning in early childhood, I had a passion for reading and can name books I enjoyed as far back as my kindergarten years. I enjoyed reading to my children and now my grandchildren give me opportunity to read children's books once again. Should you look at my collection of books you might just find a few vintage children's books. What has become of great interest to me these days, is not only wonderful children's books, I've become almost enchanted by talented book illustrators. In recent times, I've discovered Honor Charlotte Appleton, a British illustrator, born in Brighton on 4th February 1879. As seen in her illustrations, she developed a very delicate watercolour style that captured the innocent world of children, their adventures and life. I have so many favorites, but those shown here, are reminding me of what is happening in the lives of my grandchildren. "Home School" has begun and soon they will be learning all sorts of wonderful new things.