Thursday, August 6, 2009

The Quilting Bee

~Morgan Weistling "The Quilting Bee"
Call me a bit old fashioned and you would be exactly right. A few weeks back I came across a really nice blog belonging to a young, stay-at-home-mother of five and ambitious little home school teacher. An evangelical Christian, married to a composer, I found her completely charming. Her home is an old schoolhouse, converted into a beautiful country home. Visiting her blog each day, I find her way of life most inspiring. I adore her healthy country dinners, featuring good things from her garden. She's fond of dress patterns from the 1940's and her children are adorable wearing clothing she makes. Her caring for the old ways, has given me renewed interest in a creative art form from the past, one I've been forever wanting to try. Quilting having been around for quite some time, is a pure form of Americana. Some of us can reflect back to the times when our grandmothers prided themselves in making beautiful bedding covers with scrap fabrics. With the long hours of hand sewing, what was intended for warm bedding, became a work of art. Often times the quilting became a family social time or a gathering of community. Hmmm.....I wonder if I could encourage my circle of friends to gather around a frame for a good ole fashioned "Quilting bee?" Blessings.... Dee Dee