Thursday, August 13, 2009

Old Movies and Heart-throbs


As a young girl, I liked nothing better than watching movies. I knew the names of most of the "movie stars" and could probably name each film they had starred in. My girlfriends and I loved exchanging movie magazines and we talked amongst ourselves as though we knew these actors and actresses personally. Attached to my bedroom walls were photos of my favorites movie stars. At thirteen years old, if you had asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up, I would have told you "I want to go to Hollywood and become a famous actress, just like Doris Day." I still like old movies, and once in a while I get to see an old favorite actor, like Clark Gable, who once upon a time was one of my "Heart-throbs" (an unusually handsome movie star who plays romantic roles....the object of one's infatuation). Tonight I am watching, on TCM, Test Pilot. .....Ann and Jim, a pilot, meet and are immediately attracted to each other, although each feigns disinterest. They spend the day together, eventually flying off together and getting married. This is only the beginning. The movie from 1938 was nominated for three Academy awards. With a great cast, starring Clark Gable, Myrna Loy and Spencer Tracy, how could it not have been. The reviews warned it may be too exciting and not for young children. Ah yes......I am still infatuated with handsome Clark Gable. I read that director Darryl Zanuck, having watched Gable do a screen test, said this.... "His ears are too big and he looks like an ape." Well...Mr. Zanuck sir, I beg to differ with you......