Friday, August 14, 2009

Butterfly Gardening

Brushfoot Butterfly.....
Milkweed.....
Photos...Google Images
It takes so little effort, in the Florida garden, to attract butterflies. When a beautiful butterfly passes by, I always stop for just a moment to watch. I am so fascinated with these delicate little creatures, I've made effort to provide for them and learn all that I can about butterfly gardening.
http://www.floridagardener.com/ a wonderful source of information, refering to butterflies as flowers floating in the air. In order to attract them to our garden, we did have to turn it into a sort of magical backyard paradise. A garden with butterflies is a healthy productive garden. By attracting these little insects, they provide the service of pollinating the flowers. The Florida Gardener remined me that by design, butterflies are flyers and it is not possible to create a permanent home for them...we simply provide a way-station where they can stop to refresh themselves. By my providing the appropriate plants and flowers, they get carbohydrate-rich drinks they need for energy, and I get to enjoy their momentary beauty. Blessings....Dee Dee