Sunday, August 23, 2009

Serious Little Readers.....

Sunlight poured through the window when Anne awoke and sat up in bed. A cherry tree was in full bloom, so close its branches brushed against the house. Anne was delighted-until she remembered she wouldn't be staying at Green Gables because she wasn't a boy!
I visit the Barnes & Noble book store often. These days, I head straight to the children's section. It's a beautiful thing to see moms and dads sitting in the floor surrounded by all sorts of wonderful books. I love that they read aloud to their children as though no one else is around. Today, I'm excited about collecting "Classic Starts" for some serious little readers in my life. As in all cases, before I give books to my grandchildren, I read them, making certain they will meet with the standards set forth by their parents. You can never take things for granted these days. Sadly, I have to watch for hidden subliminal messages, bad language and other promoted living patterns, not acceptable by our faith. I've just finished reading Anne of Green Gables, and even at my age I still found it charming. The end of the book has a section titled "What Do You Think?" To challenge the younger reader, ten questions are asked for discussion. Containing forty-three books in the set, I'm looking forward to reading every single one of them. Blessings....Dee Dee