Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Humility~

Door of Humility.....
Humility~One of the great lessons seldom effectively taught in college is the lesson of humility. It is usually the first of a long series of lessons we learn in our postgraduate course, when "the cold, cold, world" is our instructor. This was subtly suggested in a cartoon appearing once in a New York paper late in June. It pictured a young woman in cap and gown, armed with her college diploma and a sufficient amount of self-satisfied dignity. Confronting her was a grim visage of the old World himself, who remarked rather casually, "Well, who have we here?" "You evidently don't know me," replied the slightly pained graduate; "I am Virginia Cordelia Smith, A. B." "My dear girl," replied the World, "come with me and I will teach you the rest of your alphabet."~George Walter Fiske... source Leaves Of Gold....