Thursday, June 11, 2009

"Uh, How Ya Doin?"

I posted on our new bird feeder not so long ago. I told of how we placed the feeder right close to a window, in order to see the birds without disturbing them. Much more than pleased, it has attracted a variety of beautiful birds. Sweetly satisfied, and amazed, it has been somewhat entertaining to watch and name all the different bird species. Twice during the week, I am faithful to place new seed in the feeder, and daily I place fresh water in the bath. Let's just say, I'm looking out for our fine feathered friends. AND THEN...SOMETHING DREADFUL HAPPENED! All seemed to be going well, and our little garden appeared as though it were the perfect little oasis, a retreat, a quiet escape from the heat....a stop-off for "bird refreshment." OH SO VERY DREADFUL! As the "garden keeper," I have on occasion shooed a ravenous squirrel away. Not that I don't like squirrels, but they have been known to eat all the seed, emptying the feeder in no time at all. "Is that a baby squirrel on the feeder?" I walked closer to the window and there "HE" was! Quickly, I opened the window.....I was face to face....looking into the eyes of a RAT! I was not afraid of him. I was looking into the eyes of a fruit rat, and thinking he was a "cartoon character." I thought he might have actually been friendly. He was looking at me as though he might ask "Uh, how ya doin?" Why did I think he was "Ratatouille?" I've been ruined......sigh....this is not good.