Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Common Nonsense by Andy Rooney

Andy Rooney...the man with the infamous eyebrows.
I checked out a book at the library today, titled Common Nonsense by Andy Rooney. I like Andy Rooney and enjoy his segment on 60 Minutes. I like his sense of humor, somewhat dry but entertaining. I'm happy I decided on Mr. Rooney's book, and even happier about all the nonsense I'll put to good use in the future. If I use a little discretion, I'll impress everyone at my next dinner party. I may try table conversation about subjects like "How To Save Time." I can suggest to my dinner guest, when opening mail, slit open all the envelopes before reading anything. It takes longer to slit, read, slit, read, slit, read so it's quickest to slit, slit, slit, slit, slit, read, read, read, read, read. Save time by not reading anything in an envelope that says IMPORTANT! Andy just may have something there. I enjoyed reading about his personal ideas of saving time, when writing. He saves time by not putting apostrophes in words like "isnt," "dont," "arent" and "wouldnt." He estimates that in a 400 word letter, he saves as much as five seconds by not putting in about 30 apostrophes.

I liked the section on "Smiling." I like that he says, laughing is an extreme smile and, there's an infinite number of ways to smile. A smirk is a nasty smile. A grin is getting close to a laugh. He says the best smiles come unbidden. Your mouth just widens and, involuntarily, the corners turn up slightly. That's why smiles are so good. The best ones are unplanned. So do yourself a favor, pop into the library soon and check out Andy's book. I think you'll be pleasantly pleased with this book on interesting subjects.