Wednesday, June 17, 2009

"Nail Salon Chronicles"

Each time I visit "A Nail Trap," I'm surrounded by skilled professional young women that personify, by their talent, sense of fashion, and language, what it is to be "Modern Women." They are all unique, with personalities that are conducive to the "beauty transformation experience." Although a mature woman, my time spent at the salon, seemingly transports me back to my youth...well, at least in some respects.

Yesterday, I was caught up in the salon experience. Almost immediately, I found myself actually wanting a "Hibiscus tattoo" on my back and shoulder. Hey, I could look like Angie!! How cool would that be? I wanted fuchsia colored toe nails like Devon!! "Is that your mother's same favorite shade, I asked?" Observing a young lady client, match her nail color to her pink and white skirt, I found myself wanting the same bright pink polish with tiny painted white flowers on my own hands! I decided against that however, noting that I had no little short pink and white skirt and probably never would.

As the salon talk bounced from one thing to another, the subject of "Implants" came up and we all had a good laugh about that. Sizes, shapes, needs and don't need, are things I recall hearing. And then the conversation turned to meeting guys and dating, a common subject among women. As I listened, I reflected back, once being in their shoes. I heard them discuss whether or not the guy was handsome, or did he have the same expectations for life as they did. I thought of how important these decisions were for them, and I knew how important it was that they get it right. Finding a life mate, is one of the most important decisions of life. I sat quietly and listened, wanting to say that good looks were important, but that character, faith, values, morals and commitment, were the most important of characteristics.

Then they began talking about the new "nail salon co-ed softball team." Who would play what positions? No one wanted third base. "I may get hit with the ball!" They laughed a lot recalling practice games and how Christy, although pregnant had slid into base. Ah yes, Christy, with a contagious laugh and sweet lighthearted personality. From my observations, she can make a pedicure, a life lasting memory.

I've been coming to the "A Nail Trap" for years, and look forward to the unlimited entertainment that abounds there. Devon, is my nail tech and also owner of the salon. I can tell a lot about her heart as I sit with her, talking and sharing about children and family. We even talk about politics now and then. When I told her I was going to post about her place, on my Blog, she cautioned me. "It might be best not to tell everything you heard here today, and just maybe you should use a few "Bleeps." I took her good advice......."Thanks girls for the fun post." Dee Dee