Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Sleeplessness

"I will lie down and sleep in peace, for you alone, O Lord, make me dwell in safety."~Psalm 4:8
At some time in our life, all of us will experience a sleepless night. I've given this some thought, and find that the problem is not unique to any certain patterns. It matters not our age, or our gender. It happens to us and for various reasons. I remember the first time I experienced this. It was after the birth of my first child. My baby girl had colic for four months. I have a lot of sympathy for new mothers dealing with this. Most likely this contributed to my postpartum depression. But that's another subject, for another day. Sleeplessness brought on by worry, is on top of the list for cause and reasons. We have many things to be concerned about and yes, it is very worrisome. Most of us know the reasons for our insomnia , but do we know what to do when it occurs? I read an article by Dr. Valerie Saxion recently and she has some good ideas.

Q. How can different food and drinks affect your sleep?
A. The short answer is do not eat or drink too much, stay away from caffeine and sugar. Food plays an active role in when you sleep and how much you sleep.
Q. What types of food will help me sleep?
A. Throughout the day eat food rich in vitamin B. Dr. Saxion says this helps regulate sleep patterns. Herbs and teas that help with sleep include chamomile. Lavender oil diffused into the air....very good sleep agent.
Q. What types of drinks?
A. Warm milk with honey, mulled cider and lemon drinks.
Q. Should I stop eating a few hours before bed?
A. Eating too much can keep you from sleeping. A late snack should consist of something easy to digest, such as a banana or oatmeal. Dr Saxion suggest staying up at least 20 minutes afterwards, before sleeping, to avoid indigestion...that too can keep you awake.

I don't seem to have much trouble sleeping. On occasion when I have, it's usually when I've been watching the news on television, or listened to late night talk radio. Both offer too much in the way of negative stimulus. I find reading the best form of relaxation in my case. Of course the type of books I read are conducive to my well being. Nothing overly stimulating, or violent. I'm not into "Who Dun'it" mysteries. I see and hear too much of that on the news. What I read at bedtime is suitable enough, should I later in the night dream about it. The dream would be pleasant and the characters would be familiar and agreeable. I hope this helps some of you a little. I think however, most Bloggers stay up so late at night, that once in bed, sleep comes fast and quick. Be blessed today....