Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Spring Comes To Our Valley

American Robin ......first signs of spring...Squirrel ....we chased in the valley....
White Clover
Red Clover
Valley of White Clover.....
When I was younger, I noticed that the older folks in my family took comfort in reminiscing. I never minded this, as a matter of fact I quite enjoyed it. Curious as a child, I remember asking lots of questions, always wanting to know more. Most likely, this is why the books I read are about people, usually from small towns. I want to know their stories, and I sometimes feel as though I've been eavesdropping, as I read of their childhood experiences, their hopes and dreams, of marriage and family, and on through to happy old age. I read books that always have happy endings. I've learned a lot about human nature when I read, finding we are all basically the same. We have good times, extremely happy times and almost always sad times. So, getting back to reminiscing, I nearly always do that when the season changes. It's been true these past few days as I'm seeing signs of spring. Nothing about spring in Florida is even vaguely comparative to that time of year in my childhood, growing up in the mountains. Spring in the mountains of North Carolina was welcomed by each family member, especially the children, for it meant the end of staying inside. It meant the weather was warm enough to play and run in the "valley." The land in front of our home that we called the valley, would turn a beautiful green and be covered with red and white clover. Spring meant Robins hopping around listening for worms and squirrels chasing up and down tall oak trees that were sprouting new leaves. I can recall so clearly how fresh and new everything seemed then. Ah yes....I'm remembering it all......