Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Counting Sheep

I suppose my life was structured a bit more then, but I remember the time when no sooner my head lay on the pillow, I would be fast and sound asleep. I remember also that the alarm clock seemed to go off moments later, seeming as though I had just gone to bed. Of course, those were the days of my youth, when it seemed as though there were not enough hours in the day. Not so these days, for it seems sleeping patterns change as one grows older, and that may well be from relaxing of schedules and a less demanding lifestyle. Most days I have little in the way of scheduling, and my life has much more free time. When chores are finished, I can use my time for relaxation or entertainment. Sleep deprivation seems an important issue to many of my friends, and has been the topic of discussion lately. To some, sleep may be only three or four hours a night. Some still working outside the home, will take medication to help them sleep on occasion. Myself, I read until I fall asleep, and if the house is cool, I have no problem sleeping soundly the night through. I don't have the answers, but I suppose we've all tried things for those dreaded nights when we can't sleep...even counting sheep.
"A flock of sheep that leisurely pass by,
One after one; the sound of rain, and bees.
Murmuring, the fall of rivers, winds and seas,
Smooth fields, white sheets of water, and pure sky;
I have thought of all by turns, and yet do lie sleepless!" ~author unknown
Sending positive thoughts your way....to wrap you in warmth and love today.
Hope it is a good day for you.....Dee Dee