Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Make It Happen

Okay, so it's been a few years, but I remember it like yesterday. I learned to drive a car on back country dirt roads, in the hills of Pennsylvania. I was sixteen years old and the car was a 1951 White Ford. I'm not so sure I learned to drive that summer, but I know I managed to keep the car on the road. It had been a spur of the moment thing and I took the wheel without any rehearsals. You know, I've been thinking how life is so much like that. Sometimes an impromptu happening, sometimes planned, but eventually you take hold of life's wheel. You manage quite nicely to stay in the middle of the road for a while, for that's where it feels safe. The crossroads are there and that's when you make it happen.... family, career choices, faith, all contributing factors to your life's path. Life passes by one day at a time until finally, your at another beginning, now back in the middle of the road..."retirement." You'll find yourself there, with a lifetime of experience and a good bit of wisdom, wondering. Again, you make it happen.
Living just by itself...what a dirge that is! Life is a classroom and Boredom's the usher there all the time to spy on you; whatever happens, you've got to look as if you were awfully busy all the time doing something that's terribly exciting...or he'll come along and nibble your brain.
~Louis-Ferdinand Celine~