Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Little Mockingbird Family

Baby Mockingbird....Lolly-pop tree with Mockingbird nest....
This morning, I was determined to finish setting out new bedding plants in the area of our garden we call the courtyard. Even before breakfast, I gathered all my tools and began working. I began digging under the Tangerine tree easily recognized in the photo as being shaped like a lolly-pop. The fruit has never tasted good, and we've always thought it a Tangerine tree that thinks itself a Lemon tree. Under the tree we've set out large Philodendron plants and Snow bushes. Anxious to add color beneath the tree, I began digging holes and planting pink Periwinkles. In no time at all, the tree seemingly came to life with the sounds of birds....soft baby bird sounds and very loud mama bird and daddy bird sounds. The area above my head was filled with activity of birds swooping and flying back and forth. Let's just say the kind of activity that makes the hair stand up on your arms, was happening. Finishing in record time with my planting, I backed away from the area. Although they may not realize it, we are quite happy to have the little Mockingbird family make their home in our garden.