Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Happy Childhood Memories


Today I had the pleasure of spending a bit of time with my grandchildren. They are five and three years old. I'm always full of energy in the beginning of these visits and today was no exception. We try to do all their favorite things, like reading books, going for walks and coloring. We also use the computer at some point during the visit. A while back, I introduced them to the National Geographic website. An amazing site for children, showing live action videos of all sorts of wonderful things. Our first experience was exploring and learning about volcanos. So, each tine they come over they pile into my lap and we take a look at National Geographic. Today we looked in an area for children of all ages. We saw Fainting Goats, Humpback Whales, Beavers and the list goes on. I love seeing their expressions of bewilderment and hear their discussions and questions. We had banana pudding for snacktime and then we colored. I suppose coloring is one of my favorite things to do with my grandchildren. Today I thought about how long I had been coloring. As we opened the box,the smells of the crayons took me back to my childhood. You know, memory is an amazing thing. I've read that certain smells can bring back clear pictures of happy or sad times during your life. This must be true, for in my case, smells of crayons bring back very clear images of childhood happy times.I also remember many of my favorite coloring books, and happen to believe they were some of the best. So, today I taught my granddaughter how to trace the picture before coloring it in. Do you remember tracing? We're you a tracer? Hmmm.....