Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Zebra Longwing Butterfly

The Zebra Longwing, known as the official butterfly of Florida. This beautiful butterfly, is one of the few butterflies that eat pollen and drink nectar. This is thought to contribute to a longevity of roughly three months of life......Interesting, right? I've never really thought about how long a butterfly lives before. I suppose I heard it somewhere, someplace or sometime. Most likely back in elementary school, although it didn't register, or perhaps our teacher never dealt with the death of the butterfly, only the miracle. I suppose I was more interested in how that cocoon broke open and the birth of a beautiful butterfly. I'm still pretty happy when I see one in my garden. We actually have plants that attract butterflies. The plant in the photo, Lantana, is one of them. You know, these days I pay more attention to what is going on around me. I take a more closer look at nature. Hmmm.....the butterfly ...a tiny delicate colorful creature. God does good work!