Saturday, September 13, 2008

Missing Fall Colors


It's hard to find fall colors in my tropical garden. A while back I planted beautiful plants called Orange Parrot Heliconia, and the first two years, I could not have been happier with them. They had lovely green healthy leaves and sent out tall spikes about three feet tall, with gorgeous orange blooms. What I didn't realize soon enough, was that they were scattering seeds throughout the garden and at random they were coming up in places I had rather not find them. They sent out tubers and multiplied under the ground as well. What a time I had getting them under control and eventually I just did away with them completely, or so I thought......not the case it seems, for this year I've had three of them come up. They seem to be saying..."I'm back." So, my bit of fall color in the garden is owing to the ever so resilient "Orange Parrot Heliconia."