Wednesday, February 24, 2010

The Visit


It was not uncommon in my family
to have visitors
arrive on short notice.
As a child, I watched many times as
our doors opened wide welcoming
folks who were not
so familiar....but... they were family.
Tradition followed in my home.
Uncle Arnold
arrived unexpected, at our home one day.
announcing he was my mother's brother, and my having
seen photos of him, we were happy to see him.
So began a beautiful relationship with our newly found relative.
Uncle Arnold stayed two weeks with us,
told us all kinds of family history, and
made quite an impression on my children, who grew to love him.
Newly widowed,
he was traveling up and down the east coast,
visiting and meeting for the first time, family all along the way.
Another time....
The voice on the phone said
"I'm Denny, your mother's first cousin
and we're not far away, can we come and visit?"
It has been eleven
years since our fist meeting. Once a year he is
welcomed into our home, along with his
wife and another cousin Sarah.
It's a beautiful thing when we're
together. He tells us stories of childhood,
growing up in Kentucky.
He knew my grandfather and my grandmother.
He's done a little research on our family,
and found that although we're not from royalty,
we've lots to be proud of....and some things, not
so much to be proud of. These are the stories I
find the most fun to hear about.

Today
Denny is coming for our annual visit!
The table is set for tea and biscuits....
I can hardly wait to hear more stories....
Ah....the continuity of family traditions.
Dee Dee